Super Green Smoothie

Tuesday 19 March 2013


This is my favourite smoothie.  If you told me a few years ago that one day I would think drinking kale for breakfast was an enjoyable experience, I would have thought you were mad and I might also have asked you what the heck kale was.  The first time I gave this to my husband, I didn’t mention the kale...probably a wise move.  Don’t be put off by the idea of a green smoothie.  The kale is nicely disguised by the fruit but it also stops the smoothie being overly sweet.  You get all the benefits of eating your greens raw without the taste.  Personally I need to mix my smoothie routine up a bit.  Kale will be out of season soon and I will have to move on.  I fancy trying something with avocado and I’m also intrigued by smoothies with nut butters for a little extra protein.  Watch this space.  It’s worth using a frozen banana as it makes the smoothie ice cold and lovely and thick.  I use frozen berries when fresh are out of season.  If you want to make it vegan just leave out the yoghurt.  Sadly I only get to make breakfast smoothies at the weekend as my neighbour may not appreciate the sound of my blender going at 6am.

Super Green Smoothie (makes one large glass or two small glasses)
1 bunch of kale (I used roughly 3 leaves of cavolo nero) washed and finely sliced with the middle stem removed
1 frozen banana (peel and slice up the banana.  Place it on a plate in your freezer up to an hour or more before you want to use it).
200ml almond milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
1 teaspoon of spirulina (optional)
1 tablespoon yoghurt (optional)
100g or one cup frozen berries
Blend together the kale and almond milk until the kale is reduced to tiny little specs.  Next add the spirulina and frozen banana.  Blend again until well incorporated.  Finally add the yoghurt and frozen berries and blend until smooth.  If you like your smoothie sweeter you can add a teaspoon of honey.


No comments:

Post a Comment