Pink Grapefruit Muffins

Saturday 2 March 2013

So what do you make when you accidently get some free pink grapefruit?  You make muffins obviously.  These muffins are my answer for those of us who fail to see grapefruit for breakfast as a viable option.  I know it’s healthy and I’m obsessed with healthy but I just never feel I want to eat a grapefruit when there are so many other tasty things to have for breakfast.  Maybe this will change one of these days, but for now, I’ll take my breakfast grapefruit disguised in a muffin.  It’s a pretty healthy muffin so really I win. 
 

This is another adaption of Heidi Swanson’s lemon millet muffins from her wonderful book Super Natural Every Day.  Although the original recipe calls for whole wheat pastry flour I’ve adapted them to be gluten free and I’ve made these with banana thrown in many times.  Here I simply subbed the lemon for pink grapefruit.  I loved how well the grapefruit infused the muffins, giving them a gentle kick of citrus.  Full of healthy ingredients, the raw millet lends texture and crunch to the muffins.  They are sweetened with honey and the natural yoghurt will give your stomach a nice dose of friendly bacteria.
 
Adapted from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson
280g (10oz) brown rice flour (I’ve also made them with AP gluten free flour)
60g (2oz) raw millet
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
225g natural yoghurt (I used sheep milk yoghurt)
2 large eggs beaten
120ml unsalted butter slightly melted and cooled
120ml honey
Grated zest of ½ pink grapefruit plus 2 tablespoons pink grapefruit juice.
Preheat the oven Gas Mark 6, 200°C, 400°F.  Butter a 12 cup muffin tin.
In a large bowl mix together the flour, millet, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. In a small bowl or jug mix together the eggs, yoghurt, butter, honey, grapefruit zest and juice until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry until the flour is just incorporated. Spoon the batter in to the muffin pan until all of the mixture is used up. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown and beginning to crack on top. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn the muffins out on to a wire rack to cool completely.


2 comments:

  1. Ah, grapefruit--it's so good. :) These muffins sound like a perfect way to get some extra grapefruit in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving all the citrus at the moment, having it in cake is a bonus. :)

      Delete