Roasted Fennel and Lemon Pasta

Friday 29 March 2013

This week has been a little challenging thanks to an old back injury deciding now was the time to rear its ugly head.  I’m more than ready for the long weekend.  I don’t have anything Easter related for you but I thought I’d share my current favourite lunch along with a few links to some favourite things around the internet just in case you are at a loose end... I’m sure you aren’t. 
 
I’ve been eating this a lot the last couple of weeks. It feels like an antidote to winter which is still hanging around like a guest who has long overstayed their welcome. The pasta is full of fresh spring flavours from the fennel and the bright lemon zest. I threw in some cavalo nero because I can’t help myself but you can leave this out. Crunch comes from toasted flaked almonds. I think pine nuts would be lovely too. If you like your flavours a little stronger then a roasted garlic clove mixed in before serving might also work well. Take what works for you and mix it up.
 
Roasted Fennel and Lemon Pasta (with a bit of kale thrown in just because).
Serves 2
1 large fennel bulb chopped in to bite size pieces and fronds removed.
175g (6oz) Gluten free pasta
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus more to serve
½ tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
Zest of ½ lemon
Hard goat cheese or other well flavoured cheese
Toasted flaked almonds
Handful of cavalo nero finely chopped. (optional)
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 220°C, 425°F
On a baking tray toss the fennel and olive oil and roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the fennel is nicely roasted.  Meanwhile cook your gluten free pasta according to the pack instructions.  Just before everything is ready add the chopped kale to the fennel tray and continue to bake for about 2 minutes until the kale is just wilted.  When the pasta is ready drain, rinse and toss in a drizzle of olive oil.  Return it to the pan.  Add the fennel and kale followed by the thyme, grated lemon zest and plenty of grated cheese.  Finally add a little hot water to loosen the mixture and give a creamier consistency.  Toss everything together and serve with the toasted almond flakes and extra cheese if desired.
 
Things I have been loving lately:
 
These photos for their warmth
And these are beautiful.
What I’m listening to and hoping for.
What I’m reading (in my head his voice is from this film).
Fascinated by the routines of writers via elephantine
This is a great series.
I want to make this gluten free.
Tea 
Breakfast inspiration.
 
Happy Easter x
 

3 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this! The nutty fragrance and crunch from the toasted almonds, the aniseedy fennel, the lemon,. All feels very spring-like and light, but somehow not using actual spring salads (which, judging by this weather, will never come) and in fact using hardy winter kale. Happy easter you!! P.s. there was sun today..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very late happy Easter to you too Shu Han. Lets keep our fingers crossed Spring is out there somewhere!

      Delete