Gluten Free Almond Cookies

Wednesday 1 May 2013


Cookies and sunshine, what more could a person ask for.  These are quite possibly the cookies of my dreams, if I actually ever dreamt about cookies that is.  In reality I’d probably end up dreaming about cookies that were chasing me or stopping me getting somewhere.  That’s the real stuff of dreams. 

When I pulled them from the oven for about the fourth time I said to my husband that I didn’t think they’d worked.  They were so soft on top when I prodded them. (I’m not sure prodding is a proper cooking technique but that’s what I did).  Half an hour cooling later they had transformed themselves in to a chewy, soft centred cookie with just the right amount of crunch and crumble that yields to the first bite.  This is great recipe from Cookie and Kate.  I love the mix of ground almonds and coconut flour.  They are also egg free so can easily be made vegan.  I’m trying to experiment more with coconut flour.  A little goes a long way and there have been a few failures to date but I’m happy to say this one was a resounding success.
The recipe was in cups which for me is always a little tricky to adapt to weight.  I can only tell you what I did and that it worked for me.  Instead of using just chocolate I threw in some cacao nibs for a little healthy substitute and some dried cranberries for added chewiness.  The balance was perfect but if you prefer full on chocolate cookies then go with that all the way.  I think I’ll be making more this weekend.  I miss them already.
Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate *the original recipe makes 24 small cookies but I only got 16 out of my dough which also meant they took a little longer to cook.
75g / 3oz (¾ cup) ground almonds
25g / 1oz (1/4 cup) coconut flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
100ml (1/2 cup) butter or coconut oil (I ended up doing 75ml butter and 25ml coconut oil because I didn’t have enough of either)
100ml (1/2 cup) maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g / 2oz dark chocolate broken up in to small chunks (I used 70% cocoa solids)
50g / 2oz cacao nibs
50g / 20z dried cranberries
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C, 350°F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment. 
In a bowl mix together the flours, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon.  Pour in the melted butter or coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract.  Combine well with the flour mixture and then add the chocolate, cacao nibs and dried cranberries.  Place the bowl of dough in the fridge to chill for ten minutes.  (This allows the coconut flour to absorb some of the moisture).  Scoop a tablespoon of dough for each cookie onto the baking sheet allowing space between each cookie.
Bake for 11 to 15 minutes until golden brown.  Mine needed about 20 minutes in the end.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment