Gluten Free Flatbread Pizzas with Tomato and Mozzarella

Monday 25 June 2012

So a few weeks ago I posted about gluten free flatbreads.  I love them and I’ve been playing around with combinations.  I’d heard they can make a good pizza base and I decided to give it a try.  I’m happy to report it was a huge success!  They came pretty close to replicating what I remember real pizza is like.  It may be a distant, hazy memory as I haven’t eaten regular pizza for seven years but when I sank my teeth in to these it immediately felt right.  My husband is no stranger to pizza and he agreed these flatbreads come pretty close to making a decent pizza base.  The fact that they are so quick and easy to make is a massive bonus.  The base has a slight crunch but is also light and airy.  In the past my attempts at gluten free pizza have been a bit of a fail, often cardboard like in texture and distinctly chewy.  In fact one time we ended up scraping the topping off the pizza and just eating that.  No more will we have to suffer this fate now that I can make these lovely little pizzas.  I’m looking forward to trying out more toppings. 

Although I describe these as pizzas they aren’t traditional in the sense of having a tomato sauce topping.  I haven’t tried this mainly because they are best grilled so lend themselves to toppings like sliced tomato and mozzarella that stand up well under the grill and are quick to cook.  I’m not sure how well they would work cooked in the oven but if you give it a try I’d love to know how they turned out. 
Flatbread recipe adapted from BBC Good Food
Makes 4 small pizzas
200g (7oz) gluten free self raising flour (I used Doves Farm)
150ml natural yoghurt (I used sheep’s milk yoghurt)
50ml water
For the top:
Tomatoes sliced
1 x ball of mozzarella cheese sliced.
Preheat the grill to medium and dust a baking sheet with flour.  In a large bowl combine the flour and yoghurt then add in the water and mix well.  This will form a slightly wet dough. Don’t be tempted to add more flour.
Divide the dough in to four pieces and then flatten out to form a rough circle about ½ cm thick.  Dust with a little flour as you do this to stop them from sticking to the surface.  Place the flatbreads on a baking sheet and cook under the grill.  Cook the first side until golden brown (about 5 minutes) then turn and cook the other side.  As the flatbreads begin to brown remove from the grill briefly but keep them on the baking sheet.  Add the sliced tomatoes and slices of mozzarella to the top of each flatbread.  Place back under the grill and continue to cook until the mozzarella is melted and turning golden.  Remove and serve topped with fresh basil.






2 comments:

  1. Wow, these sound amazing! And such a simple dough, too! Can't wait to try these :)

    ReplyDelete