Pancakes with Raspberries and Toasted Coconut

Tuesday 24 April 2012

I’ve said this before but I luurve breakfast.  It really is my favourite meal of the day.  I literally wake up hungry.  I know there are plenty of people out there who don’t care for breakfast or simply can’t face food first thing.  I just don’t get it.  In fact when I made these pancakes I had to have some fruit and yoghurt first to stave off my early morning hunger.  I couldn’t patiently wait the half an hour it takes to prep and make these pancakes.  It was kind of like a starter and main course situation.  I used Phil Vickery’s pancake recipe as a base but made quite a few changes.  I used quite a bit of buckwheat flour which always works so well in pancakes.  I added a banana to the batter which introduced a slight banana flavour.  I changed the oil for coconut oil (one of my favourite healthy oils to work with) and reduced the amount of butter in the recipe.  These pancakes are fluffy and light with delicious chunks of banana.  The raspberries and toasted coconut are a great combination and maple syrup is in my opinion mandatory when it comes to pancakes.
 
Makes 8-10 pancakes/serves 2
70g (2 ½ oz) brown rice flour
50g (2 oz) buckwheat flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 medium egg
1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil melted
25g (1 oz) butter melted
284ml carton buttermilk
1 banana mashed
Toppings: Fresh raspberries, toasted coconut chips, maple syrup
Whizz the banana in a food processor or blender until a loose consistency or mash by hand.  Set aside.  In a bowl mix together the flours, baking powder and salt if using.  In a large measuring jug whisk together the egg, coconut oil, butter and buttermilk then add the banana.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a bit at a time until well combined.  You should have a fairly thick batter.
Grease your skillet or non stick frying pan and place over a medium heat.  Spoon a table spoonful of batter per pancake in to the pan to create a small round pancake.  I could only fit three in my pan at a time.  Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.  Once your pancakes are golden on each side remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm (I kept mine in a very low temperature oven).  Continue making more batches until all the batter is used up.  While you are making the pancakes toast some coconut chips on a baking tray in the oven for about ten minutes.  When you are ready to serve top your pancakes with the toasted coconut, raspberries and maple syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment