Man Flu Is Pretty Bad After All and Lemons in the form of Cake to the Rescue!

Sunday 15 December 2013


























The last couple of weeks our house has been under the weather.  First my husband had it so I naturally dismissed it as a case of man flu...then I was felled too.  Runny noses, aches and shivers, coughs and a throat that felt like I swallowed a bag of razor blades.  I feel like all I’ve been eating is soup and the different flavours started to become indistinguishable.  Now I’m emerging the other side my taste buds and appetite are both making a small come back.  So even though I have many excellent soup recipes in my arsenal I don’t want to think about soup for a bit.  I’d much rather talk about this cake instead.

I mentioned this cake a while back and I’ve made it often this year.  For some reason I’ve never quite gotten round to posting the recipe which comes from the ever inspiring blog Sprouted Kitchen.  It’s moist, has a wonderful kick of lemon and lasts for several days if you can resist eating it all in one go.  Please don’t skip the lemon glaze.  It is a very easy extra step and really gives the cake a strong zap of lemon flavour and adds a nice crunch to the outside. 

I’m writing the recipe up here even though I didn’t change much so that you have the flours by weight should you choose to bake that way.  Enjoy.  It will brighten up the greyest of winter days!
2 large eggs
120ml olive oil
60ml plain natural yoghurt
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
120g total demerara sugar
120g ground almonds
100g brown rice flour
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Lemon Glaze
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons demerara sugar
Directions:
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C, 350°F
Line a 9” loaf tin with parchment paper and set aside.
In a bowl mix together the eggs, oil, yoghurt, lemon zest and juice. 
In a large bowl combine the flour, almonds, sugar, ground flaxseed, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
Combine the dry ingredients with the wet and mix well.  Pour the mixture in to your prepared loaf pan and bake for 40 – 50 minutes.
While the cake is baking make the glaze.  Combine the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan and cook over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.  When the cake is ready remove from the oven and allow to cool for ten minutes before inverting the cake on to a cooling rack.  Prick holes in the top of the cake and pour over the lemon glaze.  Allow the cake to continue to cool completely as it absorbs the lemon glaze.







6 comments:

  1. Simple loaf cakes like this are my favorite! I bet the zing of lemon would make this particularly great with a big mug of tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea with cake is mandatory I think. :)

      Delete
  2. Haha what an excuse to eat cake! Whatever, I am sold. What if you swop some of the sugar out for honey..? That's pretty much my flu remedy, in cake form ;) Love that this is GF, as usual. Get well soon lovely, in time for Christmas XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good idea about the honey. That's got all the cold remedies covered. :)

      Delete
  3. Never skip the lemon glaze! I hope you're feeling better, Caz! Surely the cake has cured you by now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irina, I got there in the end. :)

      Delete