Gluten Free Banana Millet Muffins

Monday 3 December 2012


These muffins proved to be a godsend last weekend as we faced a six hour drive to visit family.  On long road trips where I’m not driving I tend to do the following things.  1) Talk so much that my husband checks I’m ok if I’ve fallen quiet for more than five minutes.  2) Fall asleep, usually with my head back and mouth open catching flies.  3) Complain that I’ve hurt my neck because I’d fallen asleep with my head back at some weird angle.  4) Thinking about food and when I can next eat something we’ve packed for the journey.  In this case, these muffins were foremost on my mind.  They made a great breakfast when we faced the return drive on a dark Sunday morning.  More importantly they did a good job of keeping me quiet for a few minutes on the road.  I adapted these from Heidi Swanson’s Super Natural Every Day, one of my all time favourite cookbooks.  I had a batch of over ripe bananas to use up and decided to turn her millet muffins in to a banana version.  These muffins contain some wonderful healthful things.  I made them with brown rice flour, they are sweetened with honey, contain natural yoghurt, a bit of butter, a kick of lemon zest and crunch from the millet.  They are light and airy.  The bananas add a little extra moisture which in gluten free baking is always helpful.  They are the answer to road trip boredom.
 

Recipe adapted from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson

Makes 12 Muffins

225g (8oz) Gluten Free flour (I used brown rice flour)

60g (2oz) raw millet

1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt

225ml plain yoghurt

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

100ml unsalted butter slightly melted

100ml honey

Grated zest of one lemon

3 ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat the oven Gas Mark 6, 200°C, 400°F

Butter a 12 cup muffin tin and set aside.  In a large bowl mix together the flour, millet, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.  In a small bowl or jug mix together the eggs, yoghurt, butter, honey and lemon zest until smooth.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry until the flour is just incorporated.  Gently stir in the bananas.  Spoon the batter in to the muffin pan until all of the mixture is used up.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown and beginning to crack on top.  Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn the muffins out on to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment