African Beef and Peanut Stew

Thursday 27 September 2012

I have to admit to myself that autumn is here when I start making stew at weekends.  This one has been our favourite for the last couple of weeks ever since I saw it posted over at the Kitchn. I knew that I would have to try it.  This stew will definitely be seeing us through winter.  I get a bit addicted like that.  The meat is melt in your mouth tender, the spices are warming and peanut butter adds richness plus, its peanut butter so what could go wrong.  I throw extra veg in to my version just because I like lots of veg in my stews.  I also used stock for extra flavour.  That’s one of my favourite things about a good stew, you can make it what you want.
 
Adapted from The Kitchn
Serves 2
½ tablespoon oil
2 beef or lamb steaks cut in to chunks
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
½ tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
2 carrots, chopped
1 fennel bulb, chopped
500ml gluten free chicken or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon tomato puree
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
Pinch of chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon natural chunky peanut butter
Kale, shredded (as much as you want)
Salt and pepper to taste
Pour a little oil in to a casserole dish and place over a medium heat.  Once the pan is hot add the beef or lamb.  Cook until browned on the outside.  Next add the onion and continue to sauté until softened.  Add the carrots, fennel, ginger and garlic.  Continue to cook on a low to medium heat for a further 2-3 minutes.  Mix in the tomato puree and spices, continue cooking for another minute and then add the stock.  Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for about two hours.  At this point the meat will be very tender.  Now stir in the peanut butter.  Cover and continue to simmer for another 45 – 60 minutes.  You will need to keep an eye on the stew as the peanut butter can make it stick.  When you have 5 minutes cooking time left, mix in the kale.  We like it with brown rice.
 


2 comments:

  1. Stew does sound pretty amazing right about now. Peanut and beef sounds like a really exciting combination!

    ReplyDelete