Pancakes...again!

Monday 20 February 2012

Since tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday I thought I’d slip another pancake recipe in.  It was a bit of a pancake extravaganza in our house this weekend.  This is another recipe taken from Phil Vickery’s Seriously Good Gluten-Free Baking.  My pancakes didn’t really turn out like the pictures in the book but I was impressed with the pretty patterns they made.  We had our pancakes stuffed with bananas (we like bananas in this house) and topped with sheep yoghurt and pomegranate seeds which added a lovely touch of colour.  I’m sure the traditional sugar and lemon topping would work well too.  I made the pancakes dairy free by using rice milk which worked well although it is a little more watery than cow’s milk.  Sheep milk yoghurt is a delicious alternative for those who are intolerant to cow’s milk.  It is really thick and creamy. 
 
Recipe from Seriously Good Gluten-Free Baking by Phil Vickery.  Makes 4-6 pancakes
90g (3 ½ oz) brown rice flour
35g (1 ½ oz) cornflour
2 medium free range eggs
200ml milk (I used rice milk)
Olive oil for greasing the pan
In a large jug or mixing bowl mix together the flours.  Add the eggs one by one whisking well, then add about three quarters of the milk and combine.  The batter should be fairly runny (consistency of double cream).  Add more milk if necessary.
Heat the oil in a skillet or non stick frying pan.  Pour in about 4 tablespoons of batter and swirl it round to cover the base.  Cook for 30 to 60 seconds and as the pancake begins to set loosen the edges with a spatula.  Once the pancake is set turn it over and cook the other side until golden.  Repeat until all the batter is used up.

Oh and I didn’t flip my pancakes, my official excuse is the skillet is too heavy for my wimpy arms but really I’m one of the most accident prone people I know.  I didn’t want to risk wasting a single yummy pancake with batter all over the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment